Lynne Hansen is a horror artist who specializes in book covers. She loves creating art that tells a story and that helps connect publishers, authors and readers. Her art has appeared on the cover of the legendary Weird Tales Magazine, and she was selected by Bram Stoker's great-grandnephew to create the cover for the 125th Anniversary Edition of Dracula. Her clients include Valancourt Books, Cemetery Dance Publications, Thunderstorm Books and Raw Dog Screaming Press. She has illustrated works by New York Times bestselling authors including Jonathan Maberry, Brian Keene, and Christopher Golden. Her art has been commissioned and collected throughout the United States and overseas. For more information, visit LynneHansenArt.com.
Lynne Hansen’s art tells the stories of things that never happened. She brings a stylized real-world sensibility to the darkest humanity has to offer, while somehow managing to make the most twisted nightmares beautiful.
Most of her art is inspired by the novels of some of today’s best horror writers, starting out its life as commissions for book covers. Twisted villains, suffering heroines, creepy landscapes, and confounding monsters abound.
Early twentieth-century surrealists like MC Escher and Salvador Dali have inspired her to seek the symbolic in the stories she brings to life. The work of iconic horror book cover artists like Alan Clark and Jill Bauman have encouraged her to explore character and tell a vivid story in a single image that may be seen both as small as a thumbnail and as large as a living room wall.
Hansen blends techniques such as digital collage, graphite, ink, and digital oils to create her paintings. She loves to juxtapose the warm, rich color palettes and textures of the old masters with concepts that are often cold and distancing. She seeks the emotion in the story she’s trying to tell and infuses that throughout her work, in hopes that people languish in her art, and the stories that inspired it.
WHY LYNNE LOVES CREATING BOOK COVERS
Good book covers sell books. Lynne believes it's her mission to help connect awesome books with enthusiastic readers.
UPCOMING EVENTS & SHOWS
PREVIOUS GALLERY SHOWS
- April 2023 - AuthorCon (Williamsburg, Virginia)
- May 5-7, 2023 - Artist Guest of Honor, MoCon (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- May 27-29, 2023 - Artist Guest of Honor, Horror on Main (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- June 1-4, 2023 - Artist Guest of Honor, ConCarolinas (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- June 15-18, 2023 - StokerCon (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
- July 20-23, 2021 - Necon (Lowell, Massachusetts)
- October 14-17, 2022 - Multiverse Art Show (Atlanta, Georgia)
- September 3, 2022 - Southern Fried and Terrified Art Show (Atlanta, Georgia)
- October 15-17, 2021 - Multiverse Art Show (Atlanta, Georgia)
- August 29, 2021 - Wine and Words at Accent Cellars (Dahlonega, Georgia)
- July 15-18, 2021 - Necon Artist Showcase (Virtual)
- December 14-30, 2019 - MINT's 2019 Postcard Pin-Up Gallery Show (Atlanta, Georgia)
- October 15, 2019 - Monster Mash Art Show at Battle And Brew (Sandy Springs, Georgia)
- July 18-21, 2019 - NECON Art Show (Portsmouth, Rhode Island)
- June 11, 2019 - Tim Burton Art Show at Battle And Brew (Sandy Springs, Georgia)
- November 29-30, 2018 - MINT's 2018 Postcard Pin-Up Gallery Show (Atlanta, Georgia)
- December 11, 2018 - Toy Extravaganza Art Show at Battle And Brew (Sandy Springs, Georgia)
- September 25, 2018 - Villain's Ball Art Show at Battle And Brew (Sandy Springs, Georgia)
- July 19-22, 2018 - NECON Art Show (Portsmouth, Rhode Island)
- August 12-14, 2022 - KillerCon - (Austin, Texas)
- July 8 - 10, 2022 - Imaginarium (Louisville, Kentucky)
- May 12 - 15, 2022 - StokerCon (Denver, Colorado)
- April 1 - 3, 2022 - AuthorCon (Williamsburg, Virginia)
- November 20, 2021 -Tauranga Writers - "By Design: A Creative Journey. Lynne Hansen in conversation with Lee Murray." (New Zealand, Virtual)
- November 6, 2021 - Atlanta Writers Conference (Atlanta, Georgia)
- October 30, 2021 - Special guest at the Haunted Majestic (Huntington, West Virginia) Details here.
- September 25, 2021 - Writing In The Dark Symposium "5 Things Everyone Should Know About Good Cover Art" (Virtual) Details here.
- July 30-August 1, 2021 - Scares That Care (Williamsburg, Virginia)
- May 20-23, 2021 - StokerCon (Denver, Colorado - Virtual)
- October 2020 - Salem Horror Fest Wicked Women Panel (Online)October 16 - 18 - Multiverse Convention (Online)
- October 5, 2020 - "Book Launch Party for Halloween Season by Lucy A. Snyder" (Online)
- August 15, 2020 - "The Art of the Weird" - The Outer Dark Symposium on the Greater Weird (Online)
- August 13, 2020 - "The Panel Room Episode 11: From Pitch to Publication" - ConTinual (Online)
- August 13, 2020 - "Self-Employment Productivity Summit - Interview with Lynne Hansen" - AllAccessCon (Online)
- April 27, 2020 - "Book Launch Party for Jeff Strand's The Odds" - AllAccessCon (Online)
- December 15, 2019 - "Presentation and Q&A With Lynne Hansen" - AllAccessCon (Online)
- October 12, 2019 - 5th Annual Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival (Haverhill, Massachusetts)
- September 27-29, 2019 - Monsterama (Alpharetta, Georgia)
- August 2-4, 2019 - Scares That Care (Williamsburg, Virginia)
- May 9-12, 2019 - StokerCon (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- April 26-28, 2019 - Bigfoot Conference (Georgia)
- March 22-23, 2019 - The Outer Dark Weird Fiction Symposium (Atlanta, Georgia)
- March 16, 2019 - Broadleaf Self-Publishing Seminar (Atlanta, Georgia)
Lynne was a guest panelist at this full-day event where she talked about creating great cover art, how to work with a cover artist, and more.
- February 21-24, 2019 - The Tampa Bay Publishing Conference (Tampa, Florida)
Lynne debuted her workshop "How To Work With A Book Cover Artist To Get The Cover You Deserve." She taught participants what makes a good book cover, how to find a good artist, how to evaluate book cover art to see if it meets your needs, and more.
- February 8, 2019 - ConTagion (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- November 1, 2018 - Horror Writers Association Atlanta Chapter Showcase (Atlanta, Georgia)
- October 27, 2018 - Scary Fireside Stories (Atlanta, Georgia)
- October 13, 2018 - 4th Annual Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival (Haverhill, Massachusetts)
- October 5-7, 2018 - Women in Horror Film Festival (Peachtree City, Georgia)
- August 3-5, 2018 - Scares That Care (Williamsburg, Virginia)
INTERVIEWS & OTHER MEDIA
"Weird Tales: About The Cover Artist: Lynne Hansen" - (Weird Tales Magazine Website, November 2020)
"A History of Iliad's Halloween Shirts" (Iliad Bookshop, October 22, 2020)
"31 Days of Horror: Day 18 "Why I Love Horror" by Lynne Hansen [Cover Artist]" (RA for All: Horror, the online home of The Readers' Advisory Guide to Horror, published by the American Library Association, October 18, 2020)
"Book Launch for Scott Edelman's New Collection Things That Never Happened" (YouTube, September 22, 2020)
"The Outer Dark Symposium 2020: The Art of the Weird Panel" - (The Outer Dark Symposium 2020, August 15, 2020)
"The Panel Room Episode 11: From Pitch to Publication" - (ConTinual on YouTube, August 13, 2020)
"Escape From The Multiverse w/Jeff Strand & Lynne Hansen" (YouTube, May 24, 2020)
"The Future of Women in Horror: Part III" (Morbidly Beautiful, February 25, 2019)
"Women in Horror Month Special: Lynne Hansen" (Don's World of Horror and Exploitation, February 21, 2020)
"Women in Horror Month #6: Lynne Hansen" (Manuscripts Burn, February 14, 2020)
"Lynne Hansen: Horror Book Cover Artist WIHM 2020" (Superficial Gallery, February 10, 2020)
"StokerCon 2019 Report" (Locus Magazine, June 6, 2019)
"Cover Artists We'll Be Watching in 2019" (Sci-Fi and Scary, January 8, 2019)
"So You Married a Horror Writer: The Horror Show With Brian Keene Episode 192" (YouTube, November 1, 2018)
"Life in a Haunted House: The Story Behind The Cover(s)" (Cemetery Dance, May 15, 2017)